INDIANAPOLIS – Eric Holcomb is “quite proud” of Mike Pence’s record. This includes an economy where Hoosier wages and the state economy are consistently behind the national average. And while Mike Pence tried to tout Allen County during last night’s vice presidential debate, Hoosiers aren’t buying the Mike Pence-Eric Holcomb snapshot economy either.
Under the Mike Pence-Eric Holcomb Administration, the strength of income for Hoosiers has dropped to 38th in the nation. On average, Hoosier workers only make 86 cents on the American dollar and the state of Indiana ranked last in economic growth in the Midwest.
This administration is just not getting the job done, and hardworking families continue to fall behind the rest of the nation.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION: INDIANA IS FALLING BEHIND THE REST OF THE NATION
- Indiana’s economy grew at 1.7%, trailing the national 2.4% average. – [Indy Star, 6.14.16]
- Per Capita Income: Indiana ranks 38thin per capita income, down from 33rd in 2004. – [NWI Times, 03.2016]
- Mike Pence signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act in a closed door ceremony [FOX 59, 3.26.15], throwing Indiana into a $250 million economic panic. – [The Advocate, 7.10.15]
- Median Incomes: Wages have dropped from $53,500 in 2000 to $46,900 in 2013. – [S. Census]
- Hoosiers make 86 cents for every one American dollar earned. – [Indianapolis Star, 6.1.15]
- Indiana ranks 45thin quality of life, 36th in workforce. – [CNBC,2016]
- African American households earn on average $21,000 less than white households. – [Indianapolis Star, 4.11.15]
- Hispanic households make $15,000 less than white households. – [Indianapolis Star, 4.11.15]
- About two thirds of minimum wage workers in Indiana are women. – [Forbes, 7, 2015]
- Hoosier women make 75 cents for every dollar a man makes. – [AAUW, 2015]
- Mike Pence and Statehouse Republicans repealed the common construction wage laws, allowing union worker wages to go down and the expanding wage gap continues to grow in our state. – [NWI Times, 5.6.15]